The San Francisco Department of Early Childhood is pleased to announce that Early Learning San Francisco (ELS) Family Child Care programs can now apply for a one-time Child Health and Nutrition Mini Grant to enhance capacity to offer nutritious food to the children in their care!
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for a Child Health and Nutrition Mini Grant your program must:
- Be a qualified ELS program in good standing
- Offer at least 7.0 or more hours of service per day to families in locally, state or federally funded programs.
- Not charge families additional fees for extra-curricular activities
- Be willing to use the Nutrition Mini-Grant to “share the cost” and show proof of purchase of items in the categories listed below in support of serving healthy meals to children at the FCC
How will the mini grant awards be determined?
- DEC has limited funding for this mini-grant opportunity. Once the funding is exhausted the grant award process will be closed.
- Programs will be selected on a first come, first-served basis using the date and time stamp when the application is submitted.
- Eligible programs who qualify are limited to one mini grant award.
- Programs submitting multiple applications will be disqualified.
- There are two types of grants. $1200 and $800 respectively. One of these amounts will be awarded to each program who qualifies (i.e., FCC is eligible and grant funding is still available). The grant amount is solely determined based on the number of children served at the FCC in eligible local, state, and federal programs. Programs serving between 80% to 100% of their capacity with children in these programs will receive up to a $1200 and programs serving between 25% to 50% of their capacity with children in these programs will receive up to a $800 grant.
What can I use the Grant for?
Child Health and Nutrition Mini-grants can be used to purchase items in two categories:
- Oven, toaster/toaster oven, microwave, and/or induction cooktop
- Blender, stand and/or hand mixer, and/or food processor
- Crock pot and/or rice maker
- Other new appliances needed in the preparation and/or conservation of healthy meals served to children in the program
- Plastic food-grade/bulk food storage containers and/or bins
- Pots and pans
- Plates and/or bowls
- Knives and/or cutting boards.
- Kitchen utensils and tools (I.e., silverware and/or flatware; measuring cups/spoons; peeler; spatula; thermometer; timer; tongs, whisk, etc.)
- Gardening Equipment and supplies directed at enhancing children’s experiences with health and nutrition.
- Other equipment needed in the preparation and/or conservation of healthy meals served to children in the program
How do I apply?
Applications are due no later than May 23, 2023 at 5pm. However, we encourage you to complete your application as soon as possible since funding will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
Click the link below to complete your application.